Sinus infection, medically known as sinusitis, is an inflammation or swelling of the sinuses. They are normally filled with air. However, when they become filled and blocked with germs, fluid (bacteria, fungi, and viruses) can grow and cause a sinus infection.
More than 37 million American have a chronic sinus infection. Most of the cases can be successfully treated with natural remedies and proper diet.
Symptoms of a Sinus Infection
The following symptoms are also characteristic for cold, but if they continue for more than 2 weeks they are definitely pointing out on a sinus infection. So, here they are:
- Pain or pressure around your eyes and face
- Thick and yellow discharge from the nose
- A headache in the forehead area
- Blockage in the nose
- Post-nasal drip
- A cough or fever
Causes of Sinus Infection
Any disorder that blocks off the sinus channel can cause a sinus infection, including:
- Certain allergies, mostly hay fever
- Some allergy-like symptoms (non-allergic rhinitis) without any particular cause
- Small growths in the lining of the nose (nasal polyps)
The Most Effective Natural Remedies for Sinus Infection
Your Health Tubers create the following list of the most effective natural remedies for sinusitis, based on finding from the U.S. National Library of Medicine. Here are our suggestions:
Oregano oil has powerful antibiotic, antiviral and antifungal properties. You can use oregano oil to treat sinus infections, allergies, and colds. You may not like the smell because it is not really pleasant like eucalyptus or peppermint, but this oil offers great benefits.
- Add 3-4 drops of oregano oil in a cup of boiling water or tea. Cover the head with a cotton towel, close your eyes, put the face over the cup and inhale the steam. Do this several times to clear the nasal passages and throat.
You can also use oregano oil topically to fight nail fungus, cold sores, and dandruff.
- Fermented Cod Liver Oil
It is abundant in vitamin, vitamin D, and Omega-3 fatty acids. Fermented Cod Liver Oil is amazing for treating various skin conditions, autoimmune disorders, and chronic sinus infection.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of fermented cod liver oil onto a spoon, take a breath in and hold your breath, then swallow and take a deep breath in again.
The dosage is 1 teaspoon for children and 2 teaspoons for adults daily. This oil is maybe little expensive, but it is far cheaper than the doctor visits and prescription drugs.
You can also find fermented cod liver oil in a capsule form.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is rich in many nutrients and is great for the immune system. It is a very popular remedy for sinus infection. Apple cider vinegar thins the mucus in order to clear sinuses.
- Mix 1-2 teaspoons of organic apple cider vinegar in 1 glass of water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of organic honey or stevia to sweeten.
- Consume 3 times per day, 5 days.
- Grapefruit seed extract
It is amazing natural antibiotic that is used to inhibit parasites, microbes, viruses and bacteria, as well as Candida yeast and 31 other types of fungi. You can use grapefruit seed extract in a form of nasal spray.
You can consume grapefruit seed extract according to the bottle instructions.
If you have chronic sinus infection then you are probably familiar with a Neti pot. In case you don’t have one, you should definitely buy it.
Neti pot uses a mixture of salt and water to clean out the unwanted mucus and aid with many other ailments. This nice little device will help you to irrigate the nasal cavity easily and very effectively.
For optimal result, use Net pot 2 times per day.
- Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is another powerful home remedy for sinus infection. Its active component, known as capsaicin, works as an anesthetic and reduce nasal congestion.
- Combine 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper and 1 teaspoon of honey. Consume this 4 times per day.
- Or you can dissolve 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder in 1 cup of warm water. Consume this mixture 3 times per day.
Horseradish is effective for relieving sinusitis symptoms. It has excessive antibiotic properties and can boost the immune system and promote quick recovery. Horseradish is great at dissolving and eliminating an excess mucus.
- Include horseradish in your soups and meals.
- Eat 1 teaspoon of grated horseradish together with some lemon juice 2 times per day.
- Grate some fresh horseradish and put it in the mouth until its powerful flavor becomes bland, and then you can swallow it. Do this 3-4 times a day.
Prevention is clearly the best way to treat a sinus infection. Build up your immune system so it can prevent sinusitis. In addition to using these herbs and oils, try to consume a real food diet, which is free of processed foods. Plus, try to get plenty of sleep. It is crucial to good health because your body needs to heal and repair from the sinus infection.
We have mentioned 7 treatments that have proven effective for sinus inflammation, but we are pretty sure that there are also some others.