- 75 g/3 oz. /generous ‘I, cup caster/superfine or granulated sugar
- 450 g/1 lb. fresh, ripe apricots or 300 g/11 oz. /1 ¾ cups dried, ready-to-eat apricots
- 300 ml/ ½ pint/1 ¼ cups orange juice or apricot nectar or use water and juice mixed together
- few drops almond extract
- 1 large/extra-large egg white
- 2 fresh apricots or redcurrant sprays (buy frozen if you can’t find fresh)
Set the freezer to rapid freeze if necessary. Place the sugar with 200 ml/7 fl oz. / ¾ cup water in a saucepan over a gentle heat and simmer gently until the sugar has dissolved, then bring to the boil and boil for 5 minutes. Reserve.
If using fresh apricots, rinse, cut in half and discard the stones/pits. If using dried apricots, chop roughly. Place the apricots in the sugar syrup and add the juice and water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until really soft. Add the almond extract.
Remove from the heat cool slightly, then pass through a blender or food processor to form a puree. Leave until cold, then stiffly whisk the egg white and stir into the apricot puree. Pour into a freezer proof container.
Place in the freezer and freeze for 2 hours or until just frozen. Stir about every 20-30 minutes to break up the ice crystals until the mixture is almost frozen. (If too hard. then leave in the refrigerator for a few minutes to soften.) Spoon into chilled glasses or dishes, decorate with fresh apricots or sprays of red currants and serve immediately.