These Italian lemon butter bars are so soft, creamy and delicious! Plus, they are very simple and easy to prepare. You will need 20 minutes to prepare them plus around 40 minutes to cook. Here is the recipe:
For the crust:
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ¾ cup butter- cold, cut into pieces
For the filling:
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
For the topping:
- 16 oz. (2 cups) sour cream
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest plus 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Use a non-stick spray to Spray a 9 by 13 pan; set aside.
- Next, scrub two lemons and pat dry and zest both lemon rinds; slice in ½ and juice the halves.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients for the crust until well incorporated. At first, the batter will look like coarse crumbs, but if you continue mixing – it comes together and creates a ball. Press evenly into prepared pan and put in the oven. Bake for about 15 minutes, or just until golden brown.
- In the meantime, beat together ingredients for the filling. Next, spread over hot crust and return to the oven for additional 15 minutes, or until mixture is lightly set in the middle and is lightly browned around the edges.
- Combine all topping ingredients and spread on top of the dessert, covering the whole surface. Then, return to the oven for additional 10 minutes.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon lemon zest along with 1 tablespoon sugar and sprinkle on top of baked dessert once it comes out of the oven.
- Put in the fridge for at least 7 hours (or ideally overnight).
- Before serving, cut into squares and serve chilled.